Sunday, August 1, 2010

A Day Of Aid Climbing, And Free Climbing On Squamish Rock!!..



This weekend Dave Jones, called me and told me that he was at the Climbers Campground. I went over to meet him and we made a plan, to go do some aid climbing at the base of the Grand Wall. We went to climb Iconoclast,a short A3+ that goes two pitches, or one long one. It consits of bolts, hooking, a few knifeblades, lost arrows, angles, and beaks, or rurps,and the usual cams. We met on Saturday morning, and off we went for an aid climbing, adventure. It was a fun session. We arrived at the base at about 8:am, we got organized and I took the lead.(This route has been some sort of a project for me). I got up about halfway, and I was into the traverse section of the route and I had pounded in a knifeblade, and an angle. I moved from the knifeblade, and went onto the angle, and I was trying to figure out the best piece, for the next move. I figured things were going well,up until that point. It had only taken an hour and a half to make it to that point. Then all of a sudden it happend the piece that I was on pulled out, and away I went flying accross the wall for about twenty feet. I ended up pulling out three pieces of gear, and finally came to a halt. I looked up at the wall, and couldn't believe how far I'd fallen. Dave lowered me back down to the ground, and I regrouped and went back up to get the rest of my gear. This was a big deal for me because I made It past my high point and pushed myself to a higher level, of my aid climbing ability. After the aid climbing adventure, we headed for Shannon Falls. Dave climbed Klahanie Crack, this crack was unbelievable, it's one of the best 5.7,5.8 cracks ever. Dave climbed it and did pretty well on it. I'll climb it next time. After that it was to the Brew Pub for a beer and some natchos. To talk about our great day!!. It's always a great day climbing with dave!!..

No comments: