Saturday, August 21, 2010

Banana Peel, Adventure!!.. The Apron.




Me, Melanie, and Edgar decided to tackle Banana Peel on the Apron. We arrived at the base of Diedre, and climbed the first slab to the birch tree. An excellent moderate climb with few difficulties, much variety and a few very easy runout sections. We traversed along the fault, and made our way to the base of our intended route. Everyone made it to the first tree belay, at the top of a short slab!!.. Edgar lead the first pitch, and did it fairly well. I was surprised that he only placed two pieces of gear in the whole pitch, he made it to the top, and then it was my turn to go. I climbed up and took out the gear he had placed. I then put Melanie, on belay and she started up the slab, and then she just didn't feel good about continuing on.I also did not think it was a good idea, for her to go on. Safety first.. She was climbing just great up until that point, but because the wind was blowing so hard and it made it very hard to communicate with her, because I couldn't see her, for a short time. We dacided to back off and get Melanie, down to a safe spot. Edgar lowered her down slowly, while I guided the rope.. She was back on the tree ledge and everything was cool!!... I had to go back up the rope batman, style to get up to help edgar, with getting the ropes ready for rappel. It was an adventure, and everyone made it to the ground safely.. We hiked back down to the parking lot, and headed for a well deserved beer, and appies at the Brew Pub. It was a fun day, Edgar, climbed well and Melanie, was definately solid and kept her cool!!.. I was impressed with her because she didn't panic, and let the exposure get to her.. She was awesome the whole time.. An excellent effort by all!!!..

No comments: