Sunday, April 5, 2009

The First Steelhead Of 2009..



Well it was about time that I hooked up on a steelhead. I have been looking for one for the past couple of months. It was a great day, on the Squamish, but to my surprise there were lots of other fisherman on the river. I fished with Derick, again today and we, got a late start out there today. As we drove along the gravel road by the river, we saw some vehicles at 24 mile, and at chuck, chuck creek. We continued on up to 27 mile, and there were vehicles from there all the way up to 28 mile. We decided to walk up at 28 mile and fish a nice piece of water, where Derick caught a nice dolly. We ended up walking up river to see what we could find. We fished at 29 mile, and that's where I got lucky. I tied up a nice sculpin pattern, and swung it through the run. It was a deep run, about five to six feet deep. I made a long cast into the slacker water on the other side, and as it swung into the mid part of the run the line tightened and the fight was on. I had decided to go with a type 8, sink tip. I wanted to get the fly down there and right in front of that fish. I think he hit it in the mid part of the swing. It felt good to catch that steelhead, and feel that pull on the line. I did an expert job of landing it and getting it to hand. The pictures were taken, the fish released, and all was good....

No comments: