Thursday, October 15, 2009

Bulkley River 2009.



I have spent two great weeks in Smithers BC, fishing the Bulkley River for wild Steelhead. The fishing conditions were tough at times, with biting cold winds, and a snow flurry here and there. Today was one of the warmest days that I had. I didn't hook up on anything today, but the past few days were good because I had a fish on everyday. I landed four nice fish, and had many more on. I fished the Morice River, and had some fish action there. As we were driving up the forest service road we saw two very large grizzly bears on the opposite side of the river. What a sight to see, because I had never seen one in the wild before. The river itself reminds me very much of the upper Squamish. Since I have been here I have seen lots of the old faces from last year, and the year before. I ran into Jay, from California, Max and his Italian buddies, And a few other Italians that I just met on this trip. Oh yeah!! and Jay's friend Wade, that used to guide, on the Dean River. The other day I took the afternoon off and went wandering around the town of Smithers. What a great town this is. The main street, as it is called is a nice street with tons of shops, and places to eat, and coffee shops to hang out in. There are two places to buy fishing gear if needed. On this trip I fished a few different spots on the Bulkley, around the Chicken Creek area, where I found some nice water, but just didn't find any fish around. Jonathon told me about those spots, when I ran into him down by the Smithers bridge, fishing through a nice piece of water. Today is our last day on the Bulkley, and Friday we will go to the Morice River, and fish there before we say good bye!! to the north country for another year...

No comments: